Thursday, August 11, 2016

Vintage Garden

Welcome!   Today I'm sharing a project I created with a  Maya Road chipboard house.  I started by base coating the house with blue paint, then dry brushing with white paint here and there.  Next I created some texture with Ranger's Texture Paste.  This was done with a flower stencil which I placed on the corner and side of the house, then using an old plastic club card (one of those cards that rack up points when you use it at that store) to smear on the paste and scrape away the excess.  After this dried, I applied alcohol inks in blue and green to a piece of felt, then dabbed the inks both on the raised flowers and the edges of the house.  

The flowers were from a purchase at Fabric Barn in Long Beach, California.  If you are ever in the area, you have to stop by this place.  It is a deeply discounted craft supply that has literally tons of ribbons and trims, floral items, and party supplies.  Honestly they don't carry much fabric!  Anyway, the flowers were white, so I sprayed them with Perfect Pearls in turquoise and green, then sprinkled on Tumbled Glass Distress Glitter before they dried.




      I wanted a garden theme, but I didn't have a gate die or stamp, so I made a gate out of vintage measuring tape I picked up at a local flea market.  I backed each piece with thin cardboard strips to give it more stability, then sponged on brown ink on the edges.  (I think I splattered some blue in on it accidentally, but it just adds to the vintage look)

I embellished with punched vines, a garden hinge, flower jewels, and the word stickers.  

The photo of the 3 women is one I copied from an actual photo I bought at a flea market.  I chalked the women, then used a Wink of Stella glitter pen to add some sparkle.

                                                                                     

Materials:  

*Ranger Texture Paste
*Adirondack Alcohol Inks in Sail Boat Blue and Citrus    
*light blue and white acrylic paint
*flowers
*Perfect Pearls in blue and green
*Inka Gold 
*flower stencil
*chalks
*Wink of Stella
*Big Chat stickers (word stickers)
*vintage book page, vintage measuring tape
*Distress Glitter in Tumbled Glass
*swirl punch, Tim Holtz hinge die











8 comments:

  1. Oh,my gosh, Susan! I love your little shabby house! Those pasted flowers colored in alcohol ink really grabbed my eye, and the details like the fence made with an old tape and that image of the women just steal my flea market find heart! Thank you for joining our Shabby Garden Mood Board challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sara, for your thoughtful comments! I wish you all the best flea market treasures you can find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your little house with the picture of the old ladies. Great colours and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this - great colours, fabulous floral stencilling, and the woven measuring tape gate is a wonderful touch. Thank you for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you've used the stencil with those grungy colours. My most favourite element though is the ladies peeking out of the window! Wonderful embellishments finish off this piece.Thanks so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan, I just love the amazing colors and this house shape! The vintage photo is amazing in that window! What a fantastic project. We truly appreciate you sharing with us at Anything But Cute. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Susan, on your Honorable Mention at Anything But Cute! I see you have figured out how to grab the badge. I'm so happy to see it there on your sidebar, and happy you figured it out. I was wondering how I could explain it to you when I barely know how to do it myself! Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for checking up on me! I'm slowly figuring out the tech part of the blog with help from patient people like you!

    ReplyDelete